Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sorry for stepping on the daises but...

I guess it got your attention. I'm referring to planned conversation with our property owners that are interesting in making our business campus more walk and transit-friendly. Huh? Where'd they get such a novel idea? And who told them to ask us planners? As luck would have it, I happen to be one of those people that would greatly benefit from such change. I think they probably got tired of me walking on the grass and stepping on the flowers that they pay so much money for. Oh well. My goal is to make my own desire lines. The transit amenities along our road are a joke. The bus drivers don't even know where to let us off - which should really tell you something. I heard someone at work say they didn't even realize that a bus ran along our road - they just thought people were waiting along the side to be picked up by their spouse/partner or hitchhiking. It definitely looks like I could be hitchhiking but believe me I'd rather hike than hitchhike. And by hike I mean, when the bus no longer runs along my road  I literally have to walk through hill and dale to the next closest bus stop. So if I miss the 6:12pm bus then this is the walk that I have to look forward to: http://goo.gl/maps/11a5
This is the view of the cut-through to avoid the traffic/no sidewalks on Rt. 202

I love stormwater treatments - I just don't like walking through them , especially on rainy days


Can you imagine what type of visibility I have when the sun goes down?
I've been taking pictures of people walking, jogging, and biking along our business campus for years now - so I'm ready and thrilled to have this conversation. You know the saying - "Walk a mile in my shoes" - well, walk the 0.8 mile in my shoes and you'll see why things here need to change. It's hard to tell these things by sitting in your office but people do use these streets - not just cars. And these motorists are sooooo disrespectful. They speed so fast and forget the whole stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. No such thing in these parts. They're mad that you're out there! How dare you interrupt their hurried passage to work/lunch/home. I'm totally going to find an app that can record speed and measure just how fast these f'ers are going. I know we tell the kids to walk in the same direction as traffic but I will admit that I do not abide by this along this segment of road. I've been hit by a car once and once is good enough for me. These motorists don't move over for me at all so I do not trust having my back to them. It's so sad. I'm a person just like you.

One day I'll take video of where the other bus that I sometimes have to take from the train station to get to work let's you off. Unbelievably, the bus stops on the ON RAMP to Route 10 East!!! and then you have to CROSS the on/off ramp to Route 10/Route 202 and walk through this "field." It's challenging on a sunny day but add any other element such as snow, ice or rain and it'll have you rethinking your whole commute.

4 comments:

  1. Actually, we tell the kids to walk against traffic when there is no sidewalk. Ride a bike with traffic, walk against. It's often confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LA Bikes, thanks for reading and thanks for that clarification!

      Delete
  2. Tiffany, you are a superhero. Thank you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete